Saturday, April 29, 2006

Skirt Season

Apparently the dust storm [see last blog title, "It Snowed Dust"] made
the NYTimes! I hope this isn't the first time they thought that
Beijing's climate might adversely affect the Olympics. And although it
won't come at the time of the Dust Storm filled Spring, it will be in
the dead heat of the summer stagnant air time.

NYT, April 23, 2006
Also Made in China: The Big Dust Storm
As President Hu Jintao left China for the United States last week,
something was sweeping into Beijing behind him. A large dust storm hit
the capital, turning skies a murky yellow and coating buildings and
streets in fine powder.
While dust storms are not unusual in China, particularly in the
spring, "this one was quite a bit more extreme than they've had in
recent years," said Thomas E. Gill, an associate professor of geology
and environmental science at the University of Texas at El Paso who
studies dust storms. The storm's intensity may have been due to
drought in China's extensive deserts, or to land clearing and other
agricultural practices that leave soil exposed.
The Olympics will be in Beijing in August 2008, and a major dust storm
could wreak havoc. Most storms occur in the spring, Professor Gill
said, "but if conditions are right, dust storms can happen any time of
year."
The government is spending a lot to replant eroded areas, create wind
breaks and use other soil conservation techniques to cut down on the
intensity of storms, Professor Gill said. "The Chinese are very
concerned about this," he said. "But it's too early to tell whether
those efforts have worked."

May 8th marks the official beginning of the skirt season- that means
our female dominated office will be retiring our pleated front pants
for the much summer preferable skirts. My skirt is in the process of
being made, and I am wondering if my company will be passing out pantie
hose or do we just get to wear the short pantyhose material ankle
socks [that they have already given me]??

The May Holiday has officially begun- I am, of course, at work, as
this weekend is still an official work weekend, as the Chinese holiday
scheduling goes. I don't really mind considering my vacation to the
US of A begins soon, and I'll get some time off this weekend as well.

My major adventure race is May 13th, so I am almost done training for
that... I think it will be fun, actually, despite fears of exhaustion
and blisters. I'm looking forward to it. And for those who missed it, I will be in the CT/ NYC area starting May
16th until June 6th. I look forward to seeing anyone who is in the
area...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home